Location: 3 High Street
On the wall of 3 High Street there is a plaque donated by the 1st Polish Army Corps in thanks for friendship shown during the Second World War.
The Polish army was evacuated from France in 1940 and moved to Scotland. Its headquarters were located in Moncreiffe House near Bridge of Earn, south of Perth. The Poles became responsible for the coastal defences of parts of eastern Scotland.
During their time in Perth, Poles and Scots engaged in friendly contact – Polish soldiers helped with the harvest in rural areas, and there was a cultural exchange involving concerts and dance performances. Jeanfield and Wellshill Cemetery served as a Polish cemetery during that time, and the Polish War Memorial bears the inscription: “Eternal Glory to the Polish Soldiers who died in 1939-1945 for Our Freedom and Yours”.
It was this legacy that led to the creation of the twinning agreement between Perth and Bydgoszcz in 1998.
Walking Route Instructions: Walk a little further up High Street and turn first right into George Street which will take us along to the Perth Museum and Art Gallery.