The University was founded in 1796 as the Andersonian Institute, and is Glasgow’s second-oldest university. It was founded through the will of John Anderson, professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, who left the majority of his inheritance, along with specific instructions to create a place of “Useful Learning”, specialising in practical subjects “for the good of mankind and the improvement of science”.
In 1828, the institution was renamed Anderson’s University but this name was changed in 1887 as there was no legal authority to use the title “University”. It was called at that time the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, then becoming the Royal Technical College in 1912 and then the Royal College of Science and Technology in 1956. The University’s City Centre campus is now named after its founder John Anderson.
It received its royal charter in 1964 as the first technological university in the United Kingdom.
The University is home to students from over 100 countries and is proud of its international links: International students | University of Strathclyde
The King of Norway visited the University in 1966: https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSS00030&t=2. The link describes the long standing relationship the University has had with Norway.