Skip to content

A Saunter Along Sauchiehall Street (3 km)

Point A - Charing Cross Mansions

The first and grandest red sandstone tenement in the city. A fitting tribute to tenement living, which is found commonly in Glasgow and Edinburgh as well as in USA in New York as well as in Berlin, Poland, Prague etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenement and http://peoplelovespaces.net/articles/24

Photo J. Wilson

Charing Cross Mansions was built in 1889-91, and was a modified version of JJ Burnet’s French Renaissance-style entry in the City Chambers Competition of 1880.  

Clock – Photo J.,WIlson

The new design included a grand clock at the centre, with sculptures surrounding it, inspired by Michelangelo. The two reclining figures at the top represent Commerce and Industry. There are also four figures representing the seasons and if you look closely at the clockface there are the signs of the zodiac – find out more here:  http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_images.php?sub=charing_cross. The Glasgow Coat of Arms can also be seen.

Some old photographs to see what Charing Cross looked like before some magnificent buildings were sadly demolished to make way for the M8 motorway: https://www.glasgowhistory.com/charing-cross.html