The Mackintosh at the Willow Tea Rooms on Sauchiehall Street re-opened in 2018 after an extensive refurbishment. The original tearooms were designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Miss Cranston and opened in 1903. They were Miss Cranston’s fourth and final tea-rooms.
A timeline of Mackintosh’s history shows a number of links he had with continental Europe. As a young architect he won the Alexander Thomson scholarship and used it to travel to Italy. He exhibited in Paris, Vienna and Dresden and had strong links with friends in Germany. And the whole Glasgow Style that he and his wife Margaret were part of was very much an innovative and valued style that attracted great interest in mainland Europe.
Mackintosh spent the last four years of his life as a painter in the small town of Port Vendres close to the Spanish border. There is a society that supports his work there http://www.crmackintoshroussillon.com/?lang=en. This sounds like a project it would be good to support by increasing links with Glasgow.