The Glasgow Botanic Gardens have been on this current site, adjacent to the River Kelvin, since 1839 when they moved from a site west of Sauchiehall Street. They opened in 1842. The Kibble Palace glasshouse (see photograph below) was originally a private conservatory located at Coulport on Loch Long. It was moved to its present site in 1873 and was first used as a concert hall and meeting place, hosting celebrated speakers such as Gladstone and Disraeli.
The Kibble Palace and the magnolia tree in the foreground was bred in Paris!
The statues in Kibble Palace include ones by:
- the Italian Antonio Rossetti statue The Nubian Slave: http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=rossetti_a#
- the Italian sculptor Scipio Tadolini whose sculpture “Eve” can be seen: http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=tadolini_s#.
- Also “Ruth” by Giovanni Ciniselli http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=ciniselli_g#
And King Robert of Sicily, with strategically placed monkey!
Glasgow University had originally run the gardens, however, in 1891, Glasgow Corporation took over running the Gardens but maintained links with the University.
In the Summer you can enjoy outdoor and indoor performances of Bard in the Botanics!
Glasgow Botanic Gardens has participated in the European Botanic Gardens consortium. This allows the exchange of information and co-operation as part of the International Plant Exchange Network. Excellent history of the Botanics and River Kelvin walkway that is adjacent – https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=31476&p=0
Plants from all over Europe are among the collections! eg the Maltese Cross plant Lychnis chalcedonica from Eastern Europe and Campanula poscharskyana from Croatia.