St Margaret and the journey to Edinburgh
Margaret regularly travelled to Edinburgh. She established a free ferry across the Forth not just for herself but for the pilgrims travelling to St Andrews.
St Margaret’s Stone (11) is a very large boulder beside which she used to rest when walking between the ferry at Queensferry and her home in Dunfermline. It is now at the south end of Pitreavie Way beside the Lloyd’s Bank Offices at Pitreavie, just a few yards off the northbound carriageway of the A823. It is thought to be from a pre-Christian stone circle. The inscriptions on the stone were paid for by public subscription in 1879 showing that it is a revered monument.
Image credit – Martin Wilkinson