St James Church
St James Church (15), which dates back to Margaret’s time, is where pilgrims were invited to rest after the rigours of their journey before proceeding on to Dunfermline or St Andrews.
Follow the signs to the church which is set one street back from the sea front. It is likely that in Margaret’s time it was nearer the edge of the sea. The present bank of Battery Road running around the bay would not have been there and a natural high-water level would have been nearer the church.
There is a route for visitors around the village with white explanatory signs on features of interest. There is one at the St. James Church site, no. 11 on that route, as shown below
It looks at first sight that only the graveyard now remains. A wall of the church survives near the north-west corner at the back of the site. The rest of the church was destroyed by Cromwell’s army in 1651, as were many other buildings in the village, in revenge for not having supported him at the Battle of Inverkeithing.
Image credits – Martin Wilkinson